Chick being bullied?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlliBunny, Aug 9, 2013.

1. AlliBunny

AlliBunny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    So I have 3 chicks who are about 2 weeks old... We went camping for 2 nights and just got back today, but my grandparents came over to check on the chicks multiple times. Thursday was the only full day we were gone, and they said they came by in the morning and they were fine but then they came over at 1 and one of the chicks was laying on its side on the ground and the others were pecking her and they thought she was dead... Thankfully she's okay, but they made up a whole new box with everything just for her so it must have been bad? They could have overreacted but my grandpa use to raise chickens so I think he would know if it was just normal, but he told me that this chicken isn't going to last long because chickens are mean...

When I got back I put the other one back with the other two and they're acting perfectly normal. The one that they said was getting bullied is the smallest one though- It was just like kind of obvious from day one she was probably going to be the bottom of the pecking order. We also got them at a feed store, and the first week this chick kept pasting up like 5 times a day while the others didn't once...

They are a mixed flock but the guy at the feed store told me they should get along... The one that was getting picked on is a Favorolles, and the other two are an Australorp and an Orpington.

Basically I just want to know if it's safe to keep them together? Was it just like a one time thing or will they try to hurt her again, and will it be okay to have them live together when they're all grown up outside? Thanks. :/

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like it was just a one-time occurrence. I think that you can keep them together, but I'd keep a close eye on them to make sure that the smaller one is getting enough to eat and drink, and that it doesn't get picked on terribly again. They should be fine when they all get bigger, as there won't be very much of a size difference between a Faverolle, an Australorp, and an Orpington. However, I expect that the Faverolle will always be on the bottom of the pecking order. From what I've read, Faverolles are usually sweet, calm, and submissive birds that aren't likely to be the dominant bird.

3. AlliBunny

Jul 22, 2013
    Okay, that's what I kind of thought too. I'm not so worried about her being kept from being able to eat/drink but mostly just that when I'm not around the other chicks will decide to try and kill her or something hah... Would chickens ever try to do that or not really.?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I don't think that chickens would try that without sufficient reason. As long as they have enough room, feed, and water, and none of them are obviously weaker than the others, your chicks should get along fine.[​IMG]

5. AlliBunny

Jul 22, 2013
    Okay thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by