Chick being pecked...or pecking herself photo

HalcyonFlorida

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
One of our 11 chicks, a white plymouth is being pecked, or is pecking herself. I have put triple antibiotic and iodine (couldnt get any blukote today so that was the alternative) and it is less gross and bloody today. I have also isolated her. She tried pecking herself but stopped, so I guess the iodine is putting her off. She is acting okay, not odd, but she is definitely lonely. She went out for some free ranging with the others today and that seemed to cheer her up. Gave her some cat food which she gobbled up and yogurt and put Polyvisol in her water.

Anything else I should be doing? These are my first chicks, so I just want to be sure I am doing everything I can.

She is about 4 weeks, btw.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that she is attracted to the red/pink coloring. The blood is a bright red color and chicks are attracted to bright colors, especially this one. I know because my silkie bantam had a leg injury and she kept pecking herself. We put this purple medicine from a tractor supply store on it and by the next day she was perfectly fine. The wound was hardly visible and she showed no sign of stress.

I've had good luck with Pick-no-more ointment. Some of mine went on a pecking frenzy and bloodied several of their sisters. I have both the blu kote and the pick-no-more. The blu kote is good at hiding/cleansing the wound but the pick-no-more seems to deter further pecking. It seems to have a taste/smell they do not like.

Back
Top Bottom