Chick being raised in the coop by 2 broody mamas

shalynnbrothers

Chirping
Jan 31, 2016
Ramona, CA
We had a surprise chick hatch yesterday morning in our bantam coop. So far we've been allowing our two broody cochin hens to raise it. Will the chick know to come out from under the mama to eat and drink? I put food and water in there with them and have been closing the other full grown hens and silkie rooster outside during the day so the two mamas and one little chick don't get messed with, but I'm worried about the chick getting food and water. The broody hens have been great as far as protecting the chick and keeping it warm but I haven't seen it come out from under the mother unless I go out there and climb inside the coop and get it from under her. Although, I'm also not out there for the majority of the day because I'm at work. Do you think the chick will be okay or is it better to bring it in the house? I just don't want it to starve to death :( I'm hoping the mamas know to show the baby to eat and drink. But they haven't been doing much eating and drinking themselves from what I've seen, so I don't know.

Last edited:
It's fine. During the first few days especially, the chick will stay under mom(s) most of the time. They don't like to eat while people are watching. Just let them take care of it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom