1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick belly button = sick chick? Update, she died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chantald, Oct 25, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

I got an order of 11 chicks from Ideal on Thursday of this week. They all seemed healthy. I inspected each and do daily for pasty butt.. no sign of that, but a few have this crusty belly button I've never noticed on other chicks before.. One that has the most prominent of these, an EE female, is now ill. She is lethargic, panting and droopy. I've isolated her, added abx to her water and electrolytes. Other than a wait and see if she pulls through, not sure what else to do.

All the chicks are on medicated starter.

So.. what is this crusty thing, is it an indication that I'll have more sick chicks..??? If so, is it contagious.. ?I've got the others from this order with my 5 from an earlier order (they are about 3 weeks older) in a corner of my coop.. caged off from the rest of the flock..

Update:

She died.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The thing is a belly button. All chicks have them. They lose th em in a few days and if you buy chicks from like the feed store, often they are old enough to have lost their little stubs. So it's not contagious. But perhaps that chick is suffering from shipping stress, and so if it's not thriving as well as the others, it may grow slower and thus develop slower and not lose its button so quickly?

Medicated feed is for cocci, so that is all it helps with.

As long as they are warm and have food and water, I think that's all you can really do when they are this young. Best of luck.

3. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I had one like that, I guess it's just like most other baby animals, the stump of the cord is still there. My puppy had an umbilical infection that almost killed her. It could have gotten infected.

I'm really sorry about your chick. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, so sorry for your loss !!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by