Chick biting every chance she gets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MommaKat, Sep 29, 2007.

1. MommaKat

MommaKat New Egg

Aug 17, 2007
    Virginia
    Everytime I am at the brooder there is 1 particular chick, I think she is a Delaware, that not just pecks at me any chance she gets, but she is actually grabbing hold and a few times it hurt!

I have named her "Dinner", because if she keeps this up, that is what she will end up as [​IMG]

Is this normal? All the other chicks will run over and try to get on me or they may peck or just watch, but she bites. Just wondering if anyone else has had a chick like this and wondering how their temperment was once they got older/bigger?

Thanks,
    Kat

2. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    I have a Delaware in my flock. I did not notice it to bite me as a chick, but I can say that at almost 20 weeks old, she is probably the meanest/bossiest bird in my group. She will come up to me and start pecking at any little thing that is on my clothing. She will peck pretty hard when eating out of my hand. And most of all, I've noticed that she will peck real hard at the other birds if they happen to get in her way.

So, my experience has been that the Delaware is not a sweet lap chicken! Hope this helps!

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I haven't had this, but when one of mine get out of line I nip them with my thumb and forefinger like I'm pecking them. They squak and jump away and keep a respectful distance after that. It doesn't hurt them, just gives them the message that you are the boss. I also move any bullies with my foot, gently, so that I'm telling her where to stand and I'm taking her space. They get the point.

Chicken whispering! Be the alpha chicken!

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I managed to hatch three boys who think its a good idea to bite. They're like turtles, grab on and won't let go. I haven't fully broken them of it yet but we're working on it. I pick them up so they can 't get hold of anythng with their mouth, then gradually move them closer to my body as they calm down. I haven't been bitten in a while now.

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Yep, I've had the exact same experience with my Delawares. When I go into their henhouse to clean it, they sneak up behind me and peck my clothes. Even though they ought to have learned that there is nothing edible on my clothing and I always shoo them away. The other breeds do not do this. I think what they are is DUMB. They are also the chickens who get lost from the flock the most when they freerange.

6. MommaKat

MommaKat New Egg

Aug 17, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks for the responses [​IMG]

For now if I need to tend to anything I hold her in one hand and have use of the other. It is a pain but it stops her from pecking. She is very calm while being held.

I will start "nipping" back at her and shooing her. Hopefully she might get it [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]
    Kat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by