Chick blind in one eye

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by georgialee, May 3, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I bought some ameraucana chicks on Wednesday and noticed last night that one is blind in one eye. It's hard to explain but it's eyeball is back farther so that it's eyelids aren't centered... it's pupil is mostly covered by the back corner of the eye. It was really really sleepy the first few days which is why I think I didn't notice right away [​IMG] Is there anything special I need to do for it? It doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all and the other chicks (even our large RIR which I think is a roo) doesn't pick at it at all.

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    All I can think of is watch out for infection, other than that it should be fine.

3. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I think that he/she needs an eye patch and a proper pirate name.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Nancy, watch for infection. Other than that she should be fine. My own little half blind chicken is right now in the nesting box; not the special one I made for her on the ground, but a "big girls" nest box that she has to jump to reach.
    As your chick grows you might find that her depth perception is way off. She may have trouble pecking at food, but she'll eventually get the hang of it. Also, while all chickens have trouble seeing in dim light, it might be even harder for your special needs chick. Good luck to her. [​IMG]

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you! She's a fiesty little one! Whenever I give treats she's climbing all over the bigger chicks to get to them, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by