Chick Bloody Stool

Last edited:
Hello, I just went to check on my 5 chicks and one of them was dead. They all appeared to be just find yesterday, but when I checked this morning one was dead and there was bloody stool in the cage. I'm assuming my chick had what is mentioned above. Does that mean all of my chicks have it? I don't know how fast I can find Corid in my city. How quickly does it spread and how fast does it kill? Does it only affect babies? I have a rooster that is free range and doesn't come in contact with my chicks. Could he be affected to????

Hello, I just went to check on my 5 chicks and one of them was dead. They all appeared to be just find yesterday, but when I checked this morning one was dead and there was bloody stool in the cage. I'm assuming my chick had what is mentioned above. Does that mean all of my chicks have it? I don't know how fast I can find Corid in my city. How quickly does it spread and how fast does it kill? Does it only affect babies? I have a rooster that is free range and doesn't come in contact with my chicks. Could he be affected to????
Your rooster is probably fine, but you should treat all of your chicks ASAP. Most feed stores carry Corid in the cattle section.

-Kathy

Sorry to hear you lost one.
sad.png
As kathy said, treat them all ASAP as you see, it doesn't take long to kill a chick. Go on your state's thread, maybe someone there can direct you to the nearest spot to find Corid. They probably have it where you get your feed. Don't ask if they carry Corid for chickens, they don't. It is "off label" for chickens, readily available for cattle.

Hey! No, I called all the local feed stores and no one had it. I even asked them to check the cattle area but there are not many feeds close by that have cattle supplies. All my chicks are still alive but I don't necessarily know if I'm out of the woods. All of them look kind of homeless looking. Like their feathers look dirty. I don' know how to explain it. Could that be because they're all sick or just at that awkward growing up stage?

Hey! No, I called all the local feed stores and no one had it. I even asked them to check the cattle area but there are not many feeds close by that have cattle supplies. All my chicks are still alive but I don't necessarily know if I'm out of the woods. All of them look kind of homeless looking. Like their feathers look dirty. I don' know how to explain it. Could that be because they're all sick or just at that awkward growing up stage?

Give them milk to drink via eyedropper. Milk will slow the effects of the cocci. Use an eyedropper and put a drop or two on the side of their beak to drink. Do this to all the chicks and often.
Since corid isnt available, you'll have to use sulfadimethoxine or sulmet to treat the chicks. Call around to the feed stores and ask if they have either product. If they have both, buy the sulfadimethoxine.

Sorry! What @dawg53 said. Or, in post #5 @casportpony signature in "preliminary", there is a sulfa product for fish that might be helpful, can find in a pet or aquatic store. Ask either of them about that.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom