Chick boredom quandary-please answer!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kjirstyn, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kjirstyn

Kjirstyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Montana
    I have 4 chicks that are 3 weeks old. I am having the HARDEST time finding much literature on chicks-- most of it seems to be on full grown chickens and the only chick literature refers to their first week and setting up the brooder/etc. I understood that 6 weeks in a brooder was about the norm, and then they can move outside although possibly not nights, if it's still cold.

Well, mine are 3 weeks old and they seem like they're getting pretty bored. They have roosts to play on but I can't really think of anything else for a chick to do! They're huge people food fans, so whenever they get too antsy or start antagonizing each other, I'll give them a small dish of treats or people food or something, and that keeps them busy for awhile, then they'll nap, then it starts all over again. They're eating a ton of their own feed in addition to the treats, so I don't think I'm ruining their appetites. :)

What is your experience with this? How big of a space would you expect to be fair for four, 3 week old chicks? They're still quite small, really. They stay in their area, but they're trying to fly now and two of them have figured out how to roost on the edge of the brooder. What's next? I don't want them to get antsy and cranky and start up bad behaviors, but maybe I'm worrying overly much about behavior that's totally normal, just because I'm around and seeing them all day. (They're inside.)

Thanks so much for any input!

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Pretty much like a baby human. Sleep, eat, sleep, eat.......... Sounds normal to me. Wait until they are 20 weeks and you try to get them back in the coop after they found a way out, you'll wish they were just eating and sleeping. LOL Enjoy your chicks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    I think you might be getting to worried . Do you. have shavings or anything for them to dust bath in. If they are eating good and drinking and lively they will be fine.

4. Kjirstyn

Mar 2, 2013
    Montana
    Thanks for saying it straight. :) I DO tend to worry too much, so I don't have a problem finding out that everything's fine-- that's good news. :) Their bedding is shavings, and I change it daily, so they do have clean dusting material. I've got them dusting in it a few times, actually. :) So I guess we're good, thanks so much for easing my mind!

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You can get them a Chick version of a Flock Block. I think Farmers Helper make it. They have to peck on it so it helps them learn to forage.

They will be fine!

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think you are doing good. my 3 week olds look pretty bored if I only give them chick food. try lettuce too. I put in scrambled eggs they go bananas!

7. Kjirstyn

Mar 2, 2013
    Montana
    Oh goodness, my poor little girls have tried everything on the block! And yes, it does keep them busy, which is probably why I keep providing it. :) But like I said, they eat truckloads of people food and still suck down their chick feed, so I think they have some pretty hefty appetites! Their feathers are growing like crazy, though, and they're practicing their flying whenever they can, so I suppose they burn off lots of energy. :-D

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    scramble,scramble scramble Yeah!

10. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    I'm having the same issues with my 7 day olds! I don't give them much people food yet, but they just seem so bored! What seems to occupy mine (6 BO's) is changing up the scenery. I keep their feeder/waterer in the same place but I'll add a new stick to roost on, or move the roosts around. Today I got a clean, flat rock from the garden that is about 6 inches square. It was still warm from the sun, and I sprinkled a few bits of grass and play sand on top of it. CHICK HEAVEN! They were all trying to sit on it at once and some were sitting on others' heads while others were perching their fluffy butts on the edge trying to claim some space. That kept them occupied for quite a while! Also, I put the brooder by the window so they can sit in sunbeams, they like that too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by