Chick born healthy but growing weaker?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SeptemberQuail, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    As I've posted earlier, after the third time being broody, my coturnix quail, Buttons, finally hatched out chicks, and is still going strong with 10 eggs left, still in her clutch.
    Basically, Valentine, the first chick, was born super healthy.

When she was first in the brooder, she was running around, eating, pooping, not sure about drinking, and bouncing around, trying to escape even though there is no way to leave the brooder since she's bouncing against the walls.
    On that one afternoon on the same day, she became weaker, losing her balance after running around for a bit and she lost her voice! I started her on some ACV diluted in water through a syringe and gave a few drops, I believe it worked in a way since she seemed a little more lively once more.
    She had a lot of trouble gradually throughout the rest of the afternoon when it came to balance, since she would jump against the wall, fall backwards, and have a hard time getting back onto her feet. Occasionally she can get up herself, but other times she needs assistance. I'm pretty sure she only pooped once or twice that day, that I saw.

Today I started giving her electrolytes, which I presume it somehow persuaded her to eat, since she's starting to peck more frequently at the food on the floor.

I enjoy handling her and she likes to nuzzle into my hand as if she were with her mother, however, unlike her recently hatched sibling who will hide her legs and feet underneath her body when sleeping in my hand, Valentine will just push upwards, and I believe she enjoys sleeping in an almost 'standing' position. She likes to stretch up. She doesn't seem to be able to sleep like her sibling (as in, she can't hide her legs under her feet. They need to be splayed out or something.)

When I put her back into the brooder, she will walk (yes she can still walk normally and stand to try to call out), however, she will randomly fall over when she walks around as if she were tripping over something even though there's nothing there. I think she may have a bad leg, but physically, I do not see anything wrong with her.

She will close her eyes whilst standing as if she is trying to sleep on the spot.
    (Sorry if the photo isn't very helpful, but basically, she's trying to sleep by standing up like that. She'll push up as if she were nuzzling something, then fall asleep like that. She doesn't seem to sleep like a normal chick would...

[​IMG]

--

The temperature is a little lower than it should be, but its quite humid, so I would have thought that that would make up for the temperature loss. Her real mother is Willow (I recognized the pattern of the egg she hatched from since all of my hens have specific but unique egg designs), the quail I posted about before who is suffering from a vitamin deficiency but recovering. Valentine was not born a runt, and I hope she won't turn out to be one.

I believe she's suffering from a vitamin deficiency, so what do I need to supply her with? Is there anything that can be found in a regular household that could help her like blended up vegetables?
    And what about her voice? When she tries to call, nothing will come out. Sometimes you can hear this faint sqeak but otherwise, nothing. Anything for that?

Sorry for another long post, I want to do the best I can for the little guy/girl. She's really sweet and I want to see both the chicks reach adulthood.

2. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Sorry , I have no quail qualifications :( just wanted to say best of luck and I hope little Valentine pulls trough- see looks like a real little character!

3. SeptemberQuail

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks for the moral support chicken-herder. :)
    I've realised something about Valentine...

Every time she tries to sleep, she leans backwards. Why?

[​IMG]

You can tell which one she is. I don't know why, even when I handle her, she'll push her beak through my fingers, then try to sleep standing up... Sometime ps she'll sleep sitting down.
    Ugh... I'm getting worried.

4. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Ah shame, it's so horrible when one is not sure what to do! You don't think she might be dehydrated? Perhaps some pedialyte in a dropper? Maybe you should re-post under the 'emergencies' forum. Sending good luck and thoughts to you and little Valentine!

5. SeptemberQuail

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I hope she's not dehydrated. Just then, she learnt how to drink water(I've been beak dipping her and tapping the water with little success, so this is an achievement) which is great! I gave her a some electrolytes this morning through a syringe...

I think I've also solved the problem as well...
    I believe she has wry neck/was born a star gazer chick, even though she didn't show any signs yesterday.
    It would probably explain why she kept arching her head back and up high, but it still doesn't explain why, when she was running, why she kept tripping over and was unable to get back up herself.

Anyone know any reliable vitamins to give her that aren't too pricey...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by