Chick Born Missing a Leg (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chippy99th, Dec 19, 2016.

1. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I already posted about this in the "Raising Baby Chicks" section but I am wondering if anyone here may have had a similar situation or has advice for me.

I have a baby chick that hatched Saturday (12-17-16) and was missing a leg. I have decided based on my own feeling and some others' advice to give the chick, Una, a two week trial period before I decide whether to cull her or not. If she still seems relatively happy, healthy, AND is making progress towards learning to stand, I will let her live.

I'm really rooting for this baby. She hatched all by herself (all 7 hatched under their momma hen before I even knew it had started) and she is, other than her missing leg, very healthy, alert, and bright. She seems pretty content and not in any pain. She is eating and drinking. I brought her in the house with one other chick as a buddy.

So far, she is not standing. She will occasionally rise to a crouch on her one good leg and wobbles, using her stump/foot for balance a little. She gets around fine, she does a sort of shuffle-hop and is perfectly able to get across the brooder box. But because I'm worried about pressure sores developing if she lives constantly on her tummy, I want to know if anyone thinks I can teach her to stand better. Otherwise, I don't think it would be humane to let her become an adult. (She's a game bird/bantam mix, by the way, & her mom's pretty small, so I'm not overly worried about the weight putting too much stress on her good leg.)

Pictures (sorry for the dirty dishes, haha):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too long, didn't read:
    My baby chick was born with one good leg and a stump, and I'm hoping to teach her to stand. Already decided not to cull yet, although I may have to. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    poor thing hope you find a way to help her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by