Chick born unable to stand up - video, please HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fiddlehead, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Hi forum peeps! I incubated 18 silkie eggs that were shipped from a highly respected silkie breeder. Out of the 18, hatched 6, one of which could not stand from the moment it hatched. I have read many posts about Wry neck and straddle leg and feel strongly it is Wry neck. The poor little thing is twisted up terribly. I have given it Save-a-chick by dropper for 2 days now with no improvement. I concocted a slurry of sorts with save a chick and chick feed and spoon fed it today. The chick had its first poop today, looked normal. It is peeping and flailing about, no other issues that I can see.

My question is, should I just put it down, or do you think it can come out of this? I will not use this chick to breed so I have no real reason to keep it since I already have lots of pet chickens! BUT, I abhor killing a baby chick and would rather keep it as a healthy pet chick than kill it. BUT, if it is suffering I want to put it down. Ughhhhh, what to do????? Here is a link to video:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Going on day 3 now, this little one must be suffering...

3. dixieland

dixieland Blue Eggs by the Bushel

Oct 7, 2007
    Carthage, TN
    That doesn't look good [​IMG] And I hate to see any animal suffer. I would lean towards putting the baby down but first, I would contact the breeder you bought the eggs from and seek their input. They may have seen this before and may be able to shed some light on the situation....

Hugs to you [​IMG]

4. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This chick is standing up and looks better!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!

5. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:Thank you, you are very kind : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by