Chick born under broody with fuz missing on back...was red, fleshy =/

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    now today it isnt as red and looks to be getting a little more flesh colored, but theres NO feathers on that little tuft on his back...he/she does look a little bit smaller then the rest and ive only seen it twice...it doesnt NEARLY stay "out" of momma's wings for long at all but i'm sure its b/c it gets cold easier? Anyone? This is my 1st hatch so ive never seen ANYthing before he doesnt "appear" to be weak?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I suppose it could be a mutation. Have you seen the naked chicken thread? It will be something to watch him/her grow, see if feathers eventually appear.

3. momof4boys

momof4boys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    battle ground, WA
    I had a similar thing happen in an incubator hatch.. she was the last chick to hatch and looked like all her down had been burnt! She seemed a little weaker than the others at first but was very soon running around like everyone else. She feathered in just like all the others... I couldn't tell her apart after that. [​IMG]

Here are a couple pictures.. does this look like yours? sorry about the pink. I have been so curious about this.. but never posted and asked if anyone had ever seen this. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I had one that looked the same. He's a little bit older now about two months old, and he is still kinda naked on top of each wing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by