1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

:( Chick born w/insides OUT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tx_dane_mom, Nov 23, 2007.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Songster

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    What is the best way for me to humanely euthanize this POOR, poor chick? Drown it? I don't know what to do. Yesterday my dog ate my day old snowy calls, and 2 chix were fully developed but died/didn't make it out (one was a dbl who evidentally had taken on it's other b/c it was HUGE) and now this today....rough times, rough times. It's leaking green bile everywhere in the incubator....
    Kristi

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use a pair of siccsors and cut off it's head. It's quick and easy to do right. You can also just use a knife and cut it's head off. They are pretty soft as day olds. Sorry your hatches are not going well.

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Songster

Oct 27, 2007
    so sad. that is what i was thinking. remove the head is easiest for them. hard for us,but best for them. you poor thing.

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Songster

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    ugh....it's in there all chirpin and runnin around...this is goin to be so sad...poo baby...off to do the deed...why can't my DH be home....ugh...and then to bleach out the bator.
    Thanks guys,
    kristi

5. alex

alex Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    im so sorry, tell us the minute you do it...

6. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    awww im sorry to hear that. I couldn't do that, i would have to get my dad to do it.

7. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Songster

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Poor little thing, one of it's eyes was almost glued shut and the whole bator was just putrid smelling and I had to throw the sizzors away too b/c I just wouldn't ever be able to look at them and use them again w/o thinking about it. I have 2 more 'settings' of eggs in there and I hope this didn't ruin them, but those will be my last for a while.
    I just can't deal with this dissapointment. As it is, out of 12 eggs - 4 SCs were eaten, 3 chix were dead, 1 I had to kill, 1 was actually a rotten egg, 1 chick is alive & healthy and 2 are waiting to hatch & we'll see if they finish making it out ok or not. Just makes my stomach turn. My Snowies WERE very healthy though...
    I'll just be buying live chicks for a while I think. It's just super hard b/c these were the first for me to hatch from my OWN birds. I've hatched several times before, but it was always everyone else's birds.
    Thanks for the support guys, glad *someone* understands.
    Kristi

8. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    My heart really goes out to you!! I am so sorry it has been such a rough road. Raising chickens is no walk in the park sometimes and definitely not for the faint of heart. Praying healthy chick prayers your way for your last two.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Oh goodness! I'm soooo soooo sorry for you! The poor little thing! I hope the others hatch ok for you.

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Songster

You are very brave and you did the right thing for the poor little chick!! I'm sorry you had to go through that!! [​IMG]

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: