Chick born with a crooked neck-not a silkie!

sunnyllama

Songster
12 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Northeast Ohio
Hey there, I need some point of view here. I just did a hatch that went bad very quickly! My humidity got wonky during the hatch and most of the hatchlings became stuck. Shrinkwrapped and sticky:( It was bad news.

There was one that was stuck in the shell for two whole days and I decided to help. I got the chick out and to my surprise, the chick fluffed out nicely and is up and walking with no problems, no curled toes or spraddle. I am shocked! Problem is, his neck is crooked, like in the position it was in the shell so the head crooks to one side and the chick is keeping its head down.

I gave the chick some water to ensure that it could drink and it did and I have introduced him to the rest of the flock with no problems yet. Have any of you ever had this happen and what can I expect? Will there be any future problems, can I hope that the neck will straighten?? I noticed that this is a heredity problem with silkies and they suggest vit. e or polyvisol, should that help in this situation as well??

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply:) This isnt exactly what Im dealing with though. This chick is not stargazing, it has its neck in the same position in which it was when it was in the egg...I dont think Im making much sense. Maybe I will try to add a picture later on:)

Thanks for the reply:) This isnt exactly what Im dealing with though. This chick is not stargazing, it has its neck in the same position in which it was when it was in the egg...I dont think Im making much sense. Maybe I will try to add a picture later on:)
Hmm I hope he/she gets better...don't know how else to help.

Hopefully someone else can help too.

I had a chick get crook neck after it was a few weeks old. We nursed with vitamins and polyvisol, it took a week or so to see results but it did get quite a bit better however it didn't straighten completely. He was a nh rooster and always looked like he held his head scrunched down. We ended up butchering him.

Back
Top Bottom