Chick born with bended fingers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anchutka, Jun 12, 2011.

1. anchutka

anchutka Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Kansas city
    I have Silkie chick hatched with bended fingers on one leg. Its almost a week old and eating and drinking well. I was incubating 12 Silkie eggs, 4 of them was just empty, other just didn't make it. One was hatched blind and died same day.I have Bobwhite quail born same day with same problem on both legs. What possibly could get wrong with them?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Bent toes are usually a sign of a shortage of nutrients in the hen, or of the chick being crammed into the wrong position in the egg. The good news is that it's very fixable. Cut out a cardboard fan shape roughly the size of the chick's foot, and tape the chicks foot in straight formation to it. Chicks' bones are very flexible at that age, and can be trained to be straight. Keep the boot on it for a week so that the chick's toes are straight, and it'll grow right permenantly.

You can use whatever tape you like, but I've found electrical tape to be the best.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The link in my signature has great info and pictures to help you with your chick. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. anchutka

May 26, 2011
    Kansas city
    Thanks guys! You really helped!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know what causes bent toes but I have a rooster who has bent toes and none of his chicks have had bent toes. He gets around fine. I never thought about taping them when he was a chick. Good idea...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    It seems there are a lot of folks with this question this week...

This 'deformity' is due to either the humidity being off during incubation or inbreeding. If you are seeing it with more than one chick or breed or species, you probably had the humidity wrong during your incubation. I have had it happen too, that is how I found this out, researching to see what I did wrong. If you catch it early enough, it can be corrected.

I use pipe cleaners (like kids use for crafts), and bend them to the right size and shape for the chicks foot, and then I tape each toe to the pipe cleaner for about a week and then it seems to be fine. I use BandAids cut into narrow strips to keep them on. It will pull feathers out when you remove it, but if you do this when they are within a couple of days, I think it is just down you pull off and they get their real feathers in just fine.

Good luck. Cute little Silkie!

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OM Goodness-that is too cute. [​IMG]

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] Good job!

9. anchutka

May 26, 2011
    Kansas city
    This method works great! I just got tape off and OMG its fixed! My chick can run now! [​IMG] ! That was quick [​IMG] Sweet [​IMG] Thank you again!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by