Chick born with crusty inflamed bald spot on back

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Monateru, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Monateru

Monateru New Egg

Jun 7, 2017
    IMG_3376.JPG IMG_3377.JPG Help! My hen hatched a chick this morning and he is deformed! He has this bald spot on his back that looks sore and inflamed. Other than that he is walking fine, eating a little, and making lots of noise! I have him inside with me. I made a little crate for him, heated, with bedding , food ,and water. As of right now I have him in my shirt sleeping. What is that deformity? Will he survive? And what can I do? I had to remove him from his moma "Norma" because she was pecking at his spot.

2. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Ok now I'm thinking that chick had some shell stuck to it's back and mom tried to remove it overzealous or little guy just got stuck to the shell.Can't put it back with mom until it isn't bloody anymore or it will probably just get pecked, also not alot you can do except clean it with mild soap maybe put a little antibiotic ointment on it.When you do put it back keep a close eye on things. Good news it's not deformed just a little bald.

Monateru likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing that injury was caused by the broody. No idea why.

Stephine likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Broodies can be high strung and impulsive. I'm also inclined to believe this is a pecking injury from the broody, possible as the chick was in the process of trying to get out of the shell.

I would paint the wound with Blue-lotion and place the chick back with the broody.

Stephine likes this.
  5. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    He'll be fine. It's just where egg shell got stuck to him. His fuzz will fill back in.

6. Monateru

Monateru New Egg

Jun 7, 2017
    Sadly this little chick, who I named Alex, passed away. His wound was pretty severe. It swelled up and got red and hot. He passed away from the infection in the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by