Chick born with prolapsed vent

KarateHorse

Chirping
Oct 13, 2016
NC
We hatched our first bantam egg today but it is born with what I think is prolapsed vent. The chick hasn't opened its eyes and it has a large red "bubble" hanging out of the vent. The easiest way to explain it is it looks like a prolapsed vent. What to do? What caused this?

Are you sure that's coming from the vent or could it be an unabsorbed yolk sac?

If it's coming from the vent, I'm sorry but there's really nothing you can do and the best thing to do for the chick would be to humanely put it down. If it's a yolk sac there's some things that can be tried.

Are you sure that's coming from the vent or could it be an unabsorbed yolk sac?

If it's coming from the vent, I'm sorry but there's really nothing you can do and the best thing to do for the chick would be to humanely put it down. If it's a yolk sac there's some things that can be tried.

Looks like the yolk sac to me. Too low to be from vent and not only is prolapsed vent rare in chicks, it wouldn't be nearly that big, nor yellow.

Unabsorbed yolk sac. It's caused by a chick hatching prematurely, usually due to human interference. Limit this chick's mobility and give it a chance to finish absorbing the yolk by keeping it in a tumbler glass or a small bowl. You must be very careful not to rupture the yolk.

Looks like the yolk sac to me. Too low to be from vent and not only is prolapsed vent rare in chicks, it wouldn't be nearly that big, nor yellow.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but the picture was hard to see on my phone.

OP, it looks like there might be a shaving stuck to it, which means you may have it out of the incubator and put it in a brooder. If that's the case, put it back in the incubator in a paper towel lined bowl or cup to limit its mobility (don't want it moving around and rupturing it) and get the humidity way up to keep things moist. Hopefully it has not dried out too much and can still finish absorbing.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but the picture was hard to see on my phone.

OP, it looks like there might be a shaving stuck to it, which means you may have it out of the incubator and put it in a brooder. If that's the case, put it back in the incubator in a paper towel lined bowl or cup to limit its mobility (don't want it moving around and rupturing it) and get the humidity way up to keep things moist. Hopefully it has not dried out too much and can still finish absorbing.

Xs 2

Thanks for all the replys but she was dead when I went back to check on her. It sucks that she died but I guess that's part of raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom