Chick born without wing???

meltel

Crowing
Jun 10, 2016
North of "The D" Michigan
I incubated and hatched a batch of seramas. The chicks started hatching really early-like day 16! I think my humidity was too low because several got the shrink wrap thing and I had to "assist". (I have done it before if the chick pips and I see it struggling with the membrane after 32 hrs from pip). But this one was really tough and I didn't think it was gonna make it. Well it is chirping and waddling around in the incubator... but it is missing a wing! Has anybody ever heard of this? I am fairly new to chickens and I don't mind caring for a handicap bird if it will do ok-especially a small one like a serama. It looks like an empty joing where the wind should have been. I was kind of scared i ripped it off while trying to help it hatch but there was no wing in the egg shell or membrane remnant. Thanks for any help!

I incubated and hatched a batch of seramas. The chicks started hatching really early-like day 16! I think my humidity was too low because several got the shrink wrap thing and I had to "assist". (I have done it before if the chick pips and I see it struggling with the membrane after 32 hrs from pip). But this one was really tough and I didn't think it was gonna make it. Well it is chirping and waddling around in the incubator... but it is missing a wing! Has anybody ever heard of this? I am fairly new to chickens and I don't mind caring for a handicap bird if it will do ok-especially a small one like a serama. It looks like an empty joing where the wind should have been. I was kind of scared i ripped it off while trying to help it hatch but there was no wing in the egg shell or membrane remnant. Thanks for any help!
It sounds like the heat of your bator was also too high which can cause abnormalities

I agree too with the too high temps. Also turning could have been an issue. Turning the eggs helps the embryo develop all its limbs and parts in the right place.

Thanks everybody for your help! I took the baby out of the bator and got the large egg off it. It does have a wing-really stuck to it's side-whew! It was a bare spot where feathers were off. Seems to be doing well and looking normal. I use a Hovabator with auto egg turner and the automatic humidity control system and the set temp is 100 degrees so maybe I will take it down to 99.5 and up the humidity on day 14 (I usually keep it at 40 and have had a decent hatch rate on my shipped eggs). I may also hand turn the eggs once a day just in case. This is the second lot I purchased from the same person and got some really nice quality birds. My seramas usually do hatch early (usually day 19) which I hear is not uncommon. Thanks for all the info. Definitely great pointers!!! This incubating stuff is addicting!

Thanks everybody for your help! I took the baby out of the bator and got the large egg off it. It does have a wing-really stuck to it's side-whew! It was a bare spot where feathers were off. Seems to be doing well and looking normal. I use a Hovabator with auto egg turner and the automatic humidity control system and the set temp is 100 degrees so maybe I will take it down to 99.5 and up the humidity on day 14 (I usually keep it at 40 and have had a decent hatch rate on my shipped eggs). I may also hand turn the eggs once a day just in case. This is the second lot I purchased from the same person and got some really nice quality birds. My seramas usually do hatch early (usually day 19) which I hear is not uncommon. Thanks for all the info. Definitely great pointers!!! This incubating stuff is addicting!

The temperature controls on the incubator can be off, just slightly or up to a few degrees. (Even with brand new incubators). You need a calibrated thermometer in there to check the accuracy of the incubator controls. I can post a link on how to calibrate a thermometer for accuracy of you like.

Back
Top Bottom