1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick box/warmer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hermanchickens, Feb 17, 2014.

1. hermanchickens

hermanchickens New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    I need instructions for a warming box/incubator for baby chicks from day one to eight weeks. Thanks!!

2. crazyhatch

crazyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    You can use most anything the first couple of weeks. A box, plastic tote, depending on the number of chicks. I use the big boxes that watermelons come in from our local grocery store or farm where pumpkins or melons are grown then hang heat lamp over them. I recently bought a metal water trouph for hogs its about 18 inches tall and eight feet long. After three weeks you could build a pen in garage or shed and use same heat lamp. If you have a coop build a pen inside coop use heat lamp. Three to five chicks could be raised in the large melon box for six weeks or so i would think

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What you want is a brooder.I think if you put that term in the search box you should get examples. For chicks to the age range you mentioned, I don't think a plastic Rubbermaid tote would be big enough. If you use something with solid sides use only wire for the top so they will get some ventilation. Using a securely mounted light for heating them be sure to have it cover only half of the area, so if chicks are too hot they can escape to the cooler side.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my brooder I use from day one till week three

[​IMG]
    more of the same

[​IMG]
    This is where the chicks go for three more weeks then it is
    off to a growing cage from week six till adult hood or sale ...

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Your main concern is to keep the drafts down. So it is best to use a brooder with solid walls, and a solid floor. As they age, they can tolerate some draft. But fresh hatchlings need no drafts. I use those big plastic tubs as brooders until they are about 3 weeks old, then I move them to large wire dog crates. I cover the lower half of the dog crates to keep the bedding in and also to keep the drafts from the floor down. Anything will work. But just concentrate on keeping them warm and no drafts being sucked in thru the sides due to the high heat. (cold air rushes in to meet hot air). And never cover the lid of your brooder with anything but a screen or wire, (babies can soon fly out) for good heat and oxygen exchange.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

7. ThomasMcD

ThomasMcD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Nebraska
    Welcome to BYC

8. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by