Chick breathing hard, wings out, no balance????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Up-the-Creek, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I have three Partridge Rock babies in the brooder that are 7 days old. Two are fine, but one is lethargic, wobbly like no balance, breathes hard, sometimes has its mouth open, has wings spread, and when it peeps it sounds "hoarse"??? I know it sounds like its too hot, but I checked the temp it was fine. It has been eating and drinking, but just seems to be getting worse. Anyone have any suggestions???

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    sound like mite have a hurt leg ( spade leg), is one leg out to one side alot?

3. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    No its legs seem okay, but she is setting back on them, like not wanting to stand all the way up. She seems like she puts out her wings to get her balance. She is very quiet too.

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    still sound like she mite have hurt a leg to me, maybe some one will come along to be more help. hope she gets beter william

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Sounds like it's in distress. Is its bum clean? Has it been and pooping?

6. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    She hasn't been eating or drinking this morning. This has been going on for days and she keeps getting worse. She wont get up at all today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by