Chick Breed & Gender Thoughts!? Would love some ideas.

GumBranchChick

Songster
Nov 29, 2016
Elberta, AL
I got these cuties from a local farmer, but I don't know what they are, breed or gender. Would love some help, especially about gender! They hatched about a week before thanksgiving.

Thanks for the help!!!

Hello!
frow.gif

They sure are cuties, i apologize i cannot really help out with the breed, as its not really my area. However i can help you out with their gender...

#1 Has a pretty big comb..and i see a good amount of redness...im going to say hes a cockerel
#2 Has really got me scratching my head...he/she has a big comb..but no redness...so im not 100% sure but im leaning towards another cockerel
#3 Well, thats alot of red to his comb, so im saying cockerel
#4 Is definitely a pretty little pullet..
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh no! I was afraid I had at least two, but didn't think 3 until #3 started developing red the last few days. Is there any chance they'll ever get along together?

Oh no! I was afraid I had at least two, but didn't think 3 until #3 started developing red the last few days. Is there any chance they'll ever get along together?

Of course they will!
smile.png

I have 9 roosters, who all get along together extremely well. Its a myth that if you have more than one rooster they will fight to death...
They are growing up together, so chances are they have already developed a pecking order that will go on through to adult hood. If you plan on keeping them all, just get some more hens..thats all...
smile.png

Of course they will! :)
I have 9 roosters, who all get along together extremely well. Its a myth that if you have more than one rooster they will fight to death...
They are growing up together, so chances are they have already developed a pecking order that will go on through to adult hood. If you plan on keeping them all, just get some more hens..thats all...:)

That's wonderful! Thank you!! I was optimistic because the farmer I got them from has lots of roosters in his flocks and they seem to do fine. I guess now it's a waiting game to see what I have before I get more. But these babies are headed outside after these next couple of cold nights. Just have to find the right heating solution for their new coop!

They may not fight to the death but, they will end up seriously overbreeding your hens unless you have 10 hens for each roo.

Back
Top Bottom