1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Breed Guessing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmchickens, Mar 28, 2015.

1. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    These chicks are from a Cackle hatchery surprise. Any guesses about breed would be awesome! Thanks for your help.

This one has puffy cheeks, which makes me think Easter Egger. Except I have two of these and they look exactly the same. Yellow baby down, a bit of reddish tint. White wing feathers with a light rusty bit on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, I usually assume Easter Egger when I see chipmunk type birds, but I know there are many different breeds that look chipmunky.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a couple of these. They are tiny (bantam?) They have rows of black dots on their backs and white and black feathers coming in. They refuse to sit still for half a second. I kind of think these are silver spangled Hamburgs, but they are just so tiny!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think the ones with the puffy cheeks are EEs.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

The birds in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th photo are Silver Laced Wyandottes. The tiny birds are probably Silver Sebrights, but could be Silver Spangled Hamburgs (as that is a small large fowl breed).

4. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Excellent, thank you guys! So is it safe to assume that any bird that is clean legged and non-crested with a beard or muff is an EE? I've got one moreā€¦

Single comb, yellow legs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by