Chick breed question ... w/pic

okiegirl

Songster
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Tuttle
We bought 12 chicks from Tractor Supply. They couldn't tell us what breed they were, but I could guess with my chicken book, on most.

I have one, I'm not sure.

It's marked alot like a brown leghorn, but it's wings only come to about half way to it's tail feathers. It's about half to a 1/3 the size of the others. So, I'm guessing it's a bantam. The rest of the chicks wing's come pretty close to the tail feathers. The buff orps come about 3/4 or a bit more.

any idea?

the babies are about 2 weeks old

Last edited:
How about a picture Please?
pop.gif

Well the TSC that my mom works at gets Sexlinks and Production Reds. Im not a good Chicken IDer, lol. Mabey look at McMurray's website because they show pictures of what the chicks of each breed looks like.

they had a bunch of different ones. I even got one that we call fancy feet. assuming it's a cochin

The head markings don't look like a brown leghorn. They have a solid stripe coming from their eye. I'm not sure about the breed though. Judging by how little feathering it has, I think it may be a roo?
idunno.gif
JMO

It could be a golden laced wyandotte. Here is what mine looked like
34919_050.jpg
[/img] These are my silvers and a barred rock
34919_chxwkiii_006.jpg
[/img] This is my golden at about 4 weeks -

All my Wyandottes had that chipmunk like stripe down their backs the silvers were a little lighter than my goldens.
Caroline

the guy at TS said he thought they were Wyandottes, but said they look so much like brown leghorns, he wasn't sure.

but my little guys wings are so much shorter than your pic and everyone else in the brooder.

do bantams have shorter wings? is there a bantam wyandotte?

your golden looks just like my other babies.

Depending on breeds cockerels will develop feathers slower than hens. My sexed chicks are growing feathers like mad at 2 weeks. For SOME breeds you can tell with feather growth.

that would be great, 'cause "he's" the only one with short little stubby wings.

poor guys gonna get a complex!

Back
Top Bottom