Chick breed?

Rural Broody

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
Southern Ontario, Canada
So my flock is 13 birds and I ordered a colourful variety. I have figured out what some of them are from research but have gotten stuck on a couple.

Here's what I (think) I know so far:

Colombian Rock - yellow chicks
Red Sex Link - brown "stripy" chicks
Black Sex Link - black chicks
Barred P Rock - black chicks with light caps

I ordered RIR and New Hampshire as well, and the two different chicks I have left are:
1. Black
2. Brown with a dark line on the head and wing feathers have what looks like black starting

Which might be which? I can't find enough info on what the chicks of each breed look like, and there seems to be no compiled glossary on this site?

Thanks!

Sure, sorry. I wasn't sure if it would be easy to say "well RIR is definitely the brown because they don't have black chicks" or whatever. I will attempt to get a few shots of the birds in question!!
1f601.png

Last edited:
RIR chicks are a darker buff/brown and New Hampshire chicks are more yellow/golden. With the dark line on its head it's more likely to be an RIR. Google Images is your best friend when looking for pictures for comparison. Both look like they start to get a bit of black patterning through their wing feathers. Neither chicks would be black. So you have a little mystery black one. Hope that helps.

Ok... I did my best. Chicks are BLOODY hard to get a decent photo of! They're so fast!!! LOL

I ordered 12 birds, ended up with 13. So if they gave me what I ordered, I should have at LEAST:

-2 Red Sex Link
-2 Black Sex Link
-2 Barred Plymouth Rock
-2 Columbian Rock
-2 Rhode Island Red
-2 New Hampshire

This is what I think I know so far:

Here are some close-ups.

Yellow chick is the Columbian Rock, right?

A few different shots of the black chicks. Three seem to be almost 100% black, but one has some white eye markings, and some white wing markings.

Here are the unknown brown chicks,

The dark line on their heads.

I hope I took decent shots. I'm not worried about sexing so I don't know if the pictured need to be as picky?

Thanks again!

I haven't had New Hampshire before, but RIR will get wings like that initially, so I believe they are the last ones, the rest of your guesses are correct I believe.

Thank you!! It must be so hard to tell sometimes! I think I'm going to wait a bit and ask again later because just today I noticed two of the black chicks in question now appear to be developing dark rusty coloured feathers! Who knows what I've got haha!!

My black chicks are starting to show lots of distinguishing markings so I'm thinking I might post some more pics soon to see what people think! No matter how much googling I do I can't seem to find a good match for images of chicks!

Back
Top Bottom