chick broke her nail and it won't stop bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by richcm, Apr 9, 2008.

1. richcm

richcm New Egg

Apr 9, 2008
    Got several four week out chicks and one manage to break her nail. Now it is bleeding so I am guessing it broke past the quick (not sure if I spelled that right). Any thoughts for stopping the bledding?

Thank you much!

2. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    I have cannibals in my flock who have pecked the toenail off my SLWyandotte twice now. If I catch who is starting it she will be dinner. If the one didn't start it the others wouldn't follow. It's one of my California Whites but I'm not sure which one.

Anyhow...hold the chicken. Closely. Try not to let it peck your eyes out. Put a washcloth or something else damp over the toe till the bleeding stops...about 5 minutes. Use a little pressure. Then, gently, apply some superglue.

Let the superglue dry. In case it's being helped off like my SLW's was, coat the toe liberally with bag balm or Vick's Vaporub. The other birds will detest the taste and let the toe alone.

It's worked for me two times. As soon as the babies we're getting from Cackle tomorrow are grown enough to lay eggs, the California Whites will all be soup stock and so will the 3 other aggressive birds in my flock. If I had more layers or wasn't so spoiled I won't touch store eggs any more I'd cull them now.

Trisha in MO

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    If you don't have any quick stop, use flour you bake with and pack it on. I had to cotterize one of mine one time.

4. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    you can also use cornstarch or even a bar of soap.

5. richcm

richcm New Egg

Apr 9, 2008
    Alright.......I think we have stopped the bleeding now......but I am wearing flour. fun fun!

Found at the same nail was broke on each foot, so the other foot was bleeding too. The others were so excited when they saw red on the bedding and went crazy picking at it.

Who thought chickens would be so interesting to watch? Well, for us it is not a spectater sport but rather something that we participate in.

Thanks so much for the quick help!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by