Chick broken yolk sac

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rexrapter1234, Sep 7, 2016.

1. rexrapter1234

rexrapter1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    My Mum had to help a chick hatch that did not hatch for over 24 hours. She had to break some of the egg and use warm water and than the chick in warm paper towel. Then it hatched from the egg it ripped it's egg yolk sac. What to do next?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Hi there, is the chick bleeding? The sac is attached to it's navel.... if you can, put the little thing in a short cup or dish to limit it's movement and just let it absorb the remaining yolk sac... there's a good chance it'll be ok....

Good luck and keep us posted[​IMG]

3. rexrapter1234

rexrapter1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    It seems to be fine as it's moving around a lot and chirping a lot. No blood from the chick, it just break it's yolk sac from it's self. My mum gave it some warm sugar water and it seems to be happy.

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Great job Mum! [​IMG] Sometimes, if the chick steps on the yolk, it can cause some serious bleeding or death, so you want to keep them from moving around a lot until they finish absorbing the yolk.... it sounds like your little chick has a good chance of making it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by