Chick Brooder Q.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by <3ChickenForever, May 1, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I have 3 week old baby chicks [[there's 4]] and I was wondering when I could put them out in my garage in the bigger brooder. But the problem is It was cold the past weeks and I wanted to know if they could handle a little bit of cold? And yes they would have a heat lamp but its about 2.5-3 feet up. When do you think I could put them out there?

(avg. temp. lately was 35-45 F. but it's suppose to get warmer this week but it could inch back down too, anytime.)

Thanks for any help!

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    As long as they have the heat lamp, and there are no drafts, go ahead and put them out there :)

I'd go ahead and put some warm, fluffy bedding in there for them to. If they sleep on the ground

in the bedding, drafts should not be a problem.

ScissorChick

3. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    The light would be about two feet up and there isnt drafts. And I'd say it was about 40 F there today?

Any other suggestions??

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My chicks are a week old right now and are kept in their coop in a small area with a light. It got to 34 last night and with the light their temps stayed right where it was supposed to around 90 to 95 [​IMG] good luck!

5. paigeandclyde

paigeandclyde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    if you're worried you can lower the heat lamp a bit but otherwise it should be fine [​IMG]

6. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Our garage is sometimes always cold even when it's 50-60. I think I might just put them in this weekend. It's s'pose to get to 70.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by