Chick+broody hen adoption attempt tonight......nervous

desertchicken92

Songster
7 Years
Jul 4, 2014
I have a broody who goes broody almost twice a month, shes been sitting on golf balls for over a week. She's one of those super broody mama types. I finally broke down a bought two 4-5ish day old chicks at the local feed store today. I'm going to attempt to take away the golf balls and replace them with the chicks tonight. I've read every forum on here about trying adoption. So nervous for tonight... Any pointers? Wish me luck BYC'ers...
idunno.gif
California Grey Mama (Took after Barred Rock Broodiness) and two "AMERICANA" (probably Easter Egger) chicks.

I am sure she will do great with them. I have one of those psycho crazy have to be a momma types. Last year I couldn't break her and I couldn't reach her to sneak some under her at night (we didn't have a rooster so she couldn't hatch her eggs). So, in desperation, I got tractor supply chicks. In broad daylight I kind of tossed them as gently as I could close to her. She was the happiest chicken in the world and LOVED those babies! :) Good luck with your babies tonight. I am sure it will go fine! :)

Well it was a fail...She got scared and pecked at them (and thew one of them
ep.gif
) DON'T WORRY THOUGH, THEY WERE FINE. Scared me though, I put them in a brooder. I also am giving them away to another chicken owner today. At least all my hens get a supply of 40lbs of non medicated chick starter now lol.

Back
Top Bottom