CHICK BULLIES--How to stop them??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crookedcreekranch, May 9, 2011.

1. crookedcreekranch

crookedcreekranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    I have 14 9 week old chicks. About a month ago they started pecking on the rear of one of the girls. She got pretty beat up so I moved her into my house in a box. She stayed there for 3 weeks and healed up. Yesterday, I introduced her back into the flock by turning the flock loose into the big coop hoping a change of scenery would let her blend in. They immediately started pecking at her again and now she has a bad sore. I have sprayed her with purple medication, but they just keep going after her. I don't have any place to separate her other than the house and I don't really want a chick that large living in my guest room anymore. Last night I left her out with the big girls in the coop and put the newbies in their pen inside the coop. She was roosting with the big girls and they didn't seem to be bothering her. Any suggestions for how to save her? It seems like they are just determined to get rid of her. Thanks!

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    If the big girls will accept her, leave her there. When you finally put the rest of the young ones in with them, your little victim will be an official member of the older flock and therefore above the others her own age in the pecking order.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] Yep, she could make older friends that would look out for her.

4. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah if the big girls like her that sounds perfect! lets see them pick on her after she makes some big friends!

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It is like having a big brother in high school, and you being in middle school. If anyone picks on you when he is around, its butt stomping time!!! [​IMG]

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I kinda had the same problem but not as severe I tried to put my turken in with the big kids but they picked at her something awful but when i put her and her friends together with the big kids they left them alone so now when i put them in the tent i make sure i put at least 2 of the younger flock in at the same time and no one gets picked on Rio my teenage blue andy roo still picks on the big girls at times but I think he's just doing it because he's trying to be the flock roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by