chick bullies- how to tell "normal pecking order" stuff vs. aggression

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theback40, Jan 10, 2017.

1. theback40

theback40 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    the valley, AZ
    hello,,
    a "pecking order" question, if you don't mind?

my day-old mixed flock chicks arrived today,, now i'm official! i'm already seeing the 'pecking order' thing, but one (a barred rock) concerns me. there's another BR, and is not doing what this one is doing. she is not only pecking at the eyes of the others but grabbing at their eyes, n i'm afraid of traumatic injury (i have some very rare breeds in there n would hate to have to replace or put down).

i separated the one w cardboard partition 8" high, n the doggone thing just found a way to get back over!! (this one's strong!) i can't go higher bc they must share the heat lamp, n that's as high as i can go w the 'wall'...

should i b concerned?? does this one need to b culled?? i cant keep it separated.

i would appreciate your response and experience. thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some chicks are a pain. I've had eye and toe peckers. They seem drawn to shiny things and stuff that looks like worms, so it can be fairly common in the first few days. If it isn't bad ignore it, it should stop. I put shiny glass stones in my brooder to give the chicks something to focus on.

If the chick is relentless that a small wire circle or cage can be fashioned for a few days to keep the troublemaker in jail. They all grow out of it within the first week.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^
    It usually subsides pretty quicky.
    Lots of space and distractions can really help.

If I get an incorrigible I use the 'chick jail' made out of 1/2" hardware cloth.
    Couple of 30 minute timeouts under this while it's hatch mates laugh at it usually does the trick.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I did this last year for the first time after reading it from one of your post. It worked wonderfully. Mine was just a circle of hardware cloth. It was so satisfying to jail up the troublemaker. I released her here and there to eat and drink. The chick was one day older than it's hatch mates and wasn't happy having company, or maybe she was happy to have them to pick on. I really appreciated your idea.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  6. theback40

theback40 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    the valley, AZ
    Thanks so much for the info!!! I used the carton my chicks came in for a "time out" box,,, or "chick tent city", as I do live in AZ, lol!! Worked great!! N you were right, the chicks just seemed to grow right out of it!!!

I really appreciate the advice,, as it literally saved that chick's life!!! I was so close to culling it!

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good Deal!
    That first observation of their viciousness can be very alarming.
    Good to learn early that you can modify some 'bad' behaviors.

Re:eek:vation comment from @oldhenlikesdogs
    "You are a genius"
    Not hardly, haha, just a creative problem solver who likes to 'build stuff'.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm still sticking with genius.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by