Chick Bullies

laurisa

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2015
I have 1 wheaten EE that is bein picked on by the others. I've tried separation for 1-3 days (removing aggressors), blu-kote, increased the size of my brooder box, provided larger food and water bins.
They seem like it's so bad they are preventing her from good and water. What do I do? (The pic is before Blu-Kote)

That is cannibalization.
Tell me what you are feeding - everything and percentages.
What is the protein percentage of the primary feed. What treats, scratch and additives are you feeding?
Along with that, what were they fed from hatch and when did you switch feeds?
This can be fixed.

While you're at it, tell me about the space they are in. How old they are, how many birds, dimensions, bedding, temperature, etc..

Last edited:
I'm using Dumor brand chick starter/grower. I've added a little chick grit to it since they are over 4 weeks old and we have given them a little fruit twice.

While you're at it, tell me about the space they are in. How old they are, how many birds, dimensions, bedding, temperature, etc..
The protein % is sufficient but please answer the above questions.

The first thing I would try is giving some animal protein. I'd get a can of Mackerel and feed a little each day - depending on how many birds you have.
The reason I use mackerel is that it is high quality protein and much cheaper than things like tuna. You can use tuna if you don't have very many birds.
A lot of people recommend cat food but I prefer unprocessed animal protein in the form of fish or meat if I suspect a desire for more protein.

No doubt, as Canoe points out, there's very likely a dietary issue going on here, but there's almost always a behavioral issue(s) as well that ought to be considered. By the way, although I've never used Dumor Fee myself, I've seen it associated with problems of all kinds here on these forums. You might consider shelving the Dumor for a couple months and feed another brand and see if that might improve things.

If this Wheaten is the only such colored/patterned bird in the flock, chances are it's being singled out because of its differences. If the Wheaten is also very timid by temperament, it will aggravate her situation since the flock will sometimes prey on perceived weakness. A timid bird sometimes benefits from a "vacation" in an adjacent safe pen during the day. I had such a hen who became much better able to stand up for herself after her vacation in the "jail" pen for a month.

Along with that, a flock will also pick up on subtle injuries and illnesses that escape our notice until we start to think about it. Observe this Wheaten's behavior to make sure she's not ill or injured other than what the flock has done to her tail.

If you've addressed the dietary issue, and ruled out injury and illness, and the behavior doesn't seem to improve, sometimes it's necessary to diffuse the flock's focus on the Wheaten's different appearance by introducing more like her. It's far less likely that differences in appearance becomes an issue when there are numerous representatives of that particular breed in the flock.

Thank you everyone. I'm sorry I'm late replying, but I am so thankful for the insights. We moved everyone to their coop and built a small run for now. They are now happy girls and the pecking has been 99% eliminated. I also switched their food and added in some tuna every few days. Everyone seems to be happy and growing rapidly. Now I'm just a nervous Nellie because they are sleeping in their coop in their first thunderstorm.

And many more thunderstorms to follow. If you shelve the Dumor as azygous suggests, I'd refrigerate or freeze it so it will be able to stand the storage. Or you can mix it half and half with the new feed so you don't waste it.

Thanks! I didn't have much of it left when I got the new feed so I mixed the last of it for a few days until it was gone. You all are so awesome!

Back
Top Bottom