1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick bully

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bugglesmommy, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my first hatch. I was given 18 astrolorp eggs and an incubator. Only 6 were fertile. Of the six 3 hatched, but one was deformed. The first chick hatched on day 22. She is big, strong, and healthy. The second surviving chick hatched on day 24. I want to move her out of the incubator with her sis. But her sis relentlessly picked on her smaller sibling and I put her back in the incubator. HELP! How can I make "Raven" leave her sister in peace?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    As long as there is no blood I would leave them together. Chicks often peck at each other especially the egg tooth, don't know.

3. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I put the second chick by herself. The first chick was yanking her legs out from under her and pecking hard at her eyes. She was hurting the smaller chick. Do chicks outgrow this behavior? If she's so aggressive now will she stay that way as an adult?

4. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I had one like that to but it got better for me the older they got. It might help if you had a few more so the same one didn't get it all the time.

5. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    I have 3 that hatched together and two of them play this role, swapping out. I hope you have another late bloomer hatch. I was prepared to get rid of one of mine because she was being so awful but the others finally fought back. Good luck!

6. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    I have a chick doing this now to all of my other new chicks, I even put her in with my 10 day old chicks and they were quickly screaming for help b/c of this bully! Ugh! Does this mean its most def a roo? I got them from McMurray and they are supposedly females. This one may be dinner!! Should I separate it?

7. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Wish I had some advice. My bully was given the what for by the other suspected cockerel and has stopped bullying. Now, those two just go at it. : /

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by