Chick burying herself in shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lucy4, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I mean, head and all. So that she's completely covered. I thought perhaps she was too hot, but the other three aren't exhibiting any overheated behavior. (They are almost 3 weeks old.)

Any thoughts? She did it a couple times last night and I dug her out again.

2. Pics please. This is too bizzare. Never heard of this one.

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    ohh too cute!
    she may be hiding (who knows why?for easter?) but more than likely she is showing the want to "dust"
    maybe you could offer a little box with fine sand in it. grit even if you have some to spare. put her in there and see what she does.

4. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    I agree with Katty... maybe she's trying to take a bath and is getting a bit carried away?

5. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I have one buff chantecler that almost does that she doesnt totally cover herself, but will sometimes end up neck deep! She's too funny to watch. Didn't realize this was an "odd" behavior [​IMG]

6. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I think it just really must like dust baths [​IMG] I say give her a shallow pan or bowl of sand and see what she does with that. It will most certainly be fun to watch!

7. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!! One of my 4 week old RIR was doing the same thing yesterday. She had herself buried in the shavings up to her neck. Just doing the dusting thing I think.

Sure do love these chickens they don't give me any sass!!!!!!!!!

DonnaBelle

8. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Yup. They are right, She really like to dust bathe!!! Try a small box [one she could fit in though] with sand or i've heard just some dirt works fine too.

:jumpyThat is so cute though!!![​IMG]

9. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, folks! It's reassuring that it's probably a dust bath gone too far. [​IMG] I'll put a dirt pan in there today and see what happens. (I had before, but it's getting short-spaced in the brooder and I took it out. And apparently Bella's suicide attempt was a sign that she did not appreciate the removal.) [​IMG]

10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:I LOVE sassy chickens and Cocky roos! i do have a few sweethearts, but i like the mean ones. they're so adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by