Chick can not walk after hatch

Thenewgoat

Chirping
Sep 3, 2016
Okay so my first hatch and i had a chick come out not walking with legs crossed just lays on its side. It pipped the wrong end then turned around pipped the air cell then came back to the wrong end. I had to help it out after it tryied for 2 days to hatch it was getting weak. How can i help it get on its feet.
LL

Last edited:
A weak chick like this can be helped by electrolyte solution. I usually use pedialyte diluted to about 1/3 strength. You can also buy a product called Save a Chick at many feed stores which is a electrolyte solution especially for newly hatched chicks. You may be able to get the baby to swallow a bit by carefully dipping its beak and supporting the neck in the correct position to swallow; I prefer to try this first before using and eye-dropper since it is all to easy to cause the chick to aspirate the solution. I do not comment here much, but I hatch almost constantly year round for our feed store and have saved many weak chicks from assisted hatches by this method. Give the solution every couple of hours or so-you can't really hurt them with it, and lay the chick down in a comfortable position. I often lay them down on their tummies with neck straight. I hope this helps and that you will have many successful hatches from now on.

The chick is not weak now but its legs are like stuck striaght out and it can not get them under it it moves its head like normal and talks like normal it looks like it is something wrong at the hips

This could be slipped tendon. There is a thread here somewhere in which a member cured a chick with double slipped tendon by creating a sling from a sock and suspending it in a styrofoam cup. She was successful. I have never been successful with that particular issue, but was so impressed with what she did that I do plan to try it myself next time. Good luck!

i looked really good at it and tried helping it stand that is when i saw exactly what was going on the right leg is turned inward and crossing in front of the left so it falls on the right it as full strength to stand with that leg but does not put it in the right place as it is turned it the leg is in the right shape. I worked with it's leg for a little today and made it so that it was in the correct standing position and had it leaning a little on a mound of blanket so it was doing all the work standing correctly with most of its weight on its feet.

Back
Top Bottom