1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AthamGI, Apr 25, 2008.

1. AthamGI

AthamGI Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Two weeks ago, I had four chicks hatch. In the following four days, ten more hatched. There's one chick, a little black silkie mix who was born second, who keeps pecking at the younger chicks' toes and eyes. So far, one little barred rock has the skin all raw on the side of its face, and another little chick has one eye half-closed from pecking.

What do I do? This little demon won't stop. (Daimen is his name right now)

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    First thing-separate the pecker from it's victims. It will keep pecking at them. I'm not sure if you can stop it from pecking or not but, it does need to be separated. Maybe just that will put an end to it. Sometimes when separating one it will change the pecking order. This chick maybe on the top and if you keep it out for a week or so the pecking order should change.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by