Chick cannot stand (no anatomical issues found)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmlongino, Jun 24, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I have a 2 day old lavender orpington who fall over when she walks. She can stand still, but falls to either side when she takes a step. I checked out her feet, legs, etc and she looks fine otherwise. Any ideas on what may be the issue? I need to check any options before we decide to cull her.

Thanks!
    Holly

2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Are you sure that it has drank water! Some don't find it on their own.

3. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I helped her to the water. But, a chick doesn't even need water for up to 72 hours after hatch, so I don't think that would cause her to have problems?? She has been like this from the beginning.

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Some are just unthrifty. If you study egg development you can see where one day of bad tempatures or something can cause just one body part to be wrong. I would cull it for humane reasons. I'd bet it won't live long. I have seen it a million times. I hatch and work in a feed store that sells 20,000 chicks each spring. You kinda just get to know "the look" of one that won't make it.

5. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I figured as much, just thought I would check w/ the experts first!

Thanks!

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Give her a little more time. Do you have any other chicks? We just hatched our first and only chick (it was a gift egg). Our chick kept crawling around on his hocks but I knew his legs worked because he pushed himself up and almost flipped over in my hand. We decided to put his brooder where he could see our older chicks (4 & 6 weeks old). THAT made a huge difference. Now he was interested in what they were doing so he gets up more often and strengthened his legs. At 4 days old, he's a little holy terror...running around and when I put him in with the big chicks (just for a few seconds) just to see what would happen, he grabbed a mouth full of fluff on both of the other chicks and shook his head like a dog! Already assuming he's a roo.

I'm hoping she just needs more time and some stimulation.

Good luck!!

7. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:What you are describing is a chick who is getting their land legs... just like anything else that is born... it kinda needs a bit to learn to walk. That is normal... but by the second day, they should be walking good...even running at times.

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Right. So how can you do you know just by description that the other chick is beyond help? I guess I'd have to see a video of it before I thought it was unthrifty.

9. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    We have other chicks and guinea keets. I really want him to come around and walk, but he just cannot. I think it's neurological. He's a beautiful lavender orpington and I hate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by