Chick cannot walk...any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clhbubba, Apr 12, 2009.

1. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Had a chick hatch out yesterday morning. It was shuffling around the bator and then the brooder. This morning I realized she cannot walk. She can move her toes, they aren't curled, but she cannot stand up on them. I've put her in a smaller brooder area with one other chick as she was being walked all over with all the other chicks in the larger brooder. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a chance she will gain strenth over the next couple of days? I've not had to cull an otherwise healthy looking chick and would prefer intensive care with the hope of recovery. She drinks and eats on her own. Please, someone give me a ray of hope.

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    You might try feeding her some mashed up hard boiled egg. If she is just weak it might help. You can also try some vitamins and electrolytes. Good Luck and hope she gets better.

3. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    I have bird vitamins in liquid form like you use for caged birds. Would a couple of drops of that in the water help? I've read on here that they can be easily overdosed so I certainly don't want that either. I'm feeding them medicated chick started.

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Feed stores have the vitamins and electrolytes. You can also get poly vi sol, the infant vitamins and put a couple of drops in their water. Be sure to get it without iron added. I've read that the iron isn't good for them. Hope this helps

5. Iancurrannacearca

Iancurrannacearca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    I had the exact problem with one of mine , i kept it a week but it could not stand so i decided in the long term it would be best to cull. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I had a button quail chick do this.. As soon as it hatched it just layed there.. It wouldnt get up.. I thought it was just tired so I left it alone until it dryed off.. But it still layed there.. It moved it legs but couldnt get up to eat or drink.. It just layed on its side.. This was a very important chick for me.. So I didnt give up on it.. I started feeding it sugar water and it got a bit more active but still couldnt stand.. So on day 3 when I went to bed.. I told myself I would cull it so it wouldnt suffer in the morning if it wasnt walking yet.. I went to the brooder in the morning.. And didnt see it laying any where.. And darn it it didnt start walking on the 4th day.. The side it was laying on looks a bit flatter than the other.. But it is now almost 3 weeks old and you cant really tell what chick it was..

Good luck with your little chick.. And hopefully it will snap out of it..

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I have had a few that way at first but like there legs were just to weak but then in a few days was up walking..you might want to give extra nourshment of some sort and wait and see.

8. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Thank you all so much. I will give it time. I am giving her a bit of sugar water. I've got her on a wash cloth instead of paper towels or shaving so she can get better traction. I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed for her. The temps went down in the bator for several days, I'm sure that's the cause. I'm hoping she's just weak and will regain her strength.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by