Chick can't chirp and has runny stool

sweetchicksatl

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
Hi. I'm new to BYC and chicks in general. I need some help. I have 6 chicks thought I bought from a feed store 10 days ago. They all seem pretty happy.

One of my Araucanas wasn't growing much and had pasty butt. I cleared her bottom and she's a happy little thing but I noticed her stool is loose and that she doesn't make any sounds. She tries to chirp but nothing comes out. Please help. We love her and don't want to loose her. She is one of 3 Araucanas and 3 buff Orppingtons. My girls all get along and the rest are thriving. I have them in a container with a heat lamp in my laundry room. I change their water twice a day, they have Purina starter feed and I keep up with their bedding. I started them on treats with week with a little spinach and carrot peels. Thank you!

G’Day from down under sweetchicksatl
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, I am not sure what ails your little one but you may want to post on the ER Forum if you think she is unwell: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

There is also a Raising Baby Chicks Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Best wishes to you and your little ones.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

It's best if you don't feed extras when they are so young. You want them to learn to eat their nutritional feed. I wonder if she may be allergic to what else you fed them. I used to get immediately hoarse if I ate canned coconut. And some foods can bring on diarrhea, if chicks aren't used to eating it.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thank you all. "Cookie" is doing better. I put her pasty butt under some warm running water and wiped it a couple of days and she hasn't had any further problems. I also cut out "treats" of spinach and kale. She's chirping too but much smaller than the rest. She's happy, energetic and a real pest to the others. She's growing but she seems a full week or so behind which doesn't seem to crazy to me since she had some issues the first week.

Thank you all. "Cookie" is doing better. I put her pasty butt under some warm running water and wiped it a couple of days and she hasn't had any further problems. I also cut out "treats" of spinach and kale. She's chirping too but much smaller than the rest. She's happy, energetic and a real pest to the others. She's growing but she seems a full week or so behind which doesn't seem to crazy to me since she had some issues the first week.

Glad Cookie is on the mend!!
thumbsup.gif

That is great news!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom