Chick can't eat

Kelly's Chickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Wiggins, MS
I have a 6 week old BO chick that can't eat. She's been fine until this morning. I noticed her just sitting on the ramp to the brooder. All the other chicks were out running around the yard. She was making a noise that made me think something was stuck in her throat. I turned her upside down and rubbed her crop to see if I could get anything to come out but nothing did. It did make her squawk though! I brought her some oatmeal to see if she could eat something soft and she tried to but couldn't get it passed the tip of her beak. I even put some in her mouth on her tongue but it wouldn't go down. She can't even drink water. What do I do???? She does walk around the yard now but only to follow the others. She isn't scratching or digging.

BTW, we've a lot of rain the last 3 evenings and the brooder is outside covered in plastic at night. They are next to my big coop with 1 yr old BO hens as I'm trying to get them used to the big coop so I can move them into it and move the brooder out of their yard. Could that have caused her to get ill?
Thanks

If nothing is stuck, the next thing that occurs to me is gapeworm. Moisten a Qtip and wipe it around in her mouth and throat. They are skinny red things, small but visible.

Thanks, I tried the q-tip swab. It came out clean so I'm assuming that means my chick doesn't have gapeworm. I got her to eat a bit of oatmeal around 11am but she threw it up as soon as she walked away from the bowl. I just tried to give her more and she ate for about a minute and a half then walked away. I didn't see her throw any of it up so maybe she's on the mend. I put a lot of pressed garlic in the oatmeal so maybe that is helping. She's still active so that's a good sign, right?

Back
Top Bottom