Chick can't lift head.

Sparky74

Chirping
Dec 30, 2016
Cowra, NSW, Australia
I picked up day old 5 Araucana chicks yesterday to add to our flock. Unfortunately we had a quite a drive (about 4 hours) before we got home. The chicks had a hot water bottle for the trip to keep them warm.

One of the chicks was quite newly hatched and was still damp when we picked it up and I think this youngest chick is the one that has a problem. It doesn't seem to be able to lift its head and moving itself around the brooder by doing somersaults! Apart from that it seems OK.

I'll try to get some pictures. Do you think there is any hope for this chick and should I do anything special for it?

Mark
(in Australia)

Does it have a wry neck?? if so give it vitaim E...                                                                                                                         good luck,                                                                                                                                                                                      lizza

Thanks, Lizza. I've never heard of wry neck before. I've now read a couple of articles on this site about it and will try some vitamin E.

The good news is that s/he was still alive when I got home tonight and looks ever so slightly better.

Mark
in Australia

Back
Top Bottom