Chick cant move lower half of legs, keeps falling to the front

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknduck, Feb 15, 2011.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I have an 11 day old chick. It was moving around fine and 3 days ago it just looked weak and kept laying down so I watched it still ate and drank but today it keeps falling to the front. It is like everthing is fine with it but it cant stand up or hold itself from falling to the front. It just lays by the food and water and gets stepped all over it can wiggle around and lift its head but I just dont know what to do. It is perkey but cant ove around. Any suggestions please help

2. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    please can any one help.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    (PSSSST... bumping is not allowed and you only waited 10 minutes... patience)

you can try to seperate the chick but to be honest its 11 days old... odds are not good... sometimes they just fail to thrive..

4. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    sorry, just hoping for any advice.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Bumping is allowed, as long as it's not abused. There are people posting sometimes hundreds of posts within minutes. Rob would certainly agree with me, especially in an emergency.

Chicknduck, sounds like splayed leg. Here's a link to my remedy.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=318395

Do a search for spraddle leg, or splayed leg and there are many cures. Many use band-aids.

6. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:I did find that in a search and it sounds like what is going on. Thank you so much for your help. I am oing to try your method. Should I also give and vitamine supplament? I have heard of poly vi sols with out iron being used.again thank you.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In this forum, everyone who posts is in a panic. You need to be patient, if someone can help they will come along. Bumping is not being fair to everyone else who posts an emergency.

My advice in this case is try polvisol without iron - in the baby section at a drug store. That would be the first step.

Also if it was walking fine before, it is probably not spraddle leg. That usually happens to newborn chicks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  9. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Look who ever you are, Dar,
    Let's just agree to disagree. She wasn't bumping several times. Let it be.
    Oh I remember you and your Doberman pic! Love that pic! [​IMG]

Chicknduck....If it's an emergency and no replies yet, bump every 1/2 hour. Like I said, Rob would agree in an emergency.

debiraymond, she was patient. I didn't even see her first post... until she bumped it. How about not acting like you own this board. Thank you kindly. [​IMG]

10. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I have seen so many questions that have been bumped up in the emergency section. I didnt know people would get on my butt about it. I have never bumped before. Again sorry.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by