Chick can't open left eye?

TweetyNPetey

Songster
7 Years
I had to take a chick out of the egg, since he was too weak to do it on his/her own, and he/she has been doing fine, but it's been 3 days or so, and he/she still can't open her left eye! Other than that, she has been doing fine. She's eating and drinking, running (or should I say wobbling) around the brooder.

She's still a BIT wobbly, but not much. And sorry the picture couldn't be better, I had to use my webcam to take the pic. The right eye is fine, always open, clear, but the left eye is always closed. It is like it's sealed shut.

Maybe the eyelids are stuck together. I had a shrink wrapped chick I had to help out and both of its eyes were stuck shut. I VERY GENTLY wiped its eyes with a warm wash cloth and used my fingers to open them and it could see after that. Good luck with your cute little baby.
Nikki

I don't know what to do. Maybe you should see a vet about that. Also, I thnk you should post this on Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures. You might get a lot more responces.

Maybe the eyelids are stuck together. I had a shrink wrapped chick I had to help out and both of its eyes were stuck shut. I VERY GENTLY wiped its eyes with a warm wash cloth and used my fingers to open them and it could see after that. Good luck with your cute little baby.
Nikki
X2. I had the same thing with a Cochin last year. I used warm water and a q-tip to GENTLY wipe it and help her open it up. It was stuck together. Once it was open she was fine and that was a year ago and she's still fine.

Back
Top Bottom