Chick can't put its leg down?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilovechickens34, Jul 9, 2016.

1. ilovechickens34

ilovechickens34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    I'm not sure why, but this one chick won't move its leg, it just keeps it up. It is hopping on one foot. It seems healthy, but the one leg just doesn't seem to want to move. It just keeps it up all the time.
    It eats and drinks, and actually gets around pretty good. I just want to see if there's anyway I can fix its leg!
    Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Here's a picture of it :)
    [​IMG]

2. That Quail Lady

That Quail Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Houston
    Mabey some weird version of splayed legs?
    Or joint problems. I would suggest using an egg candler, or a really bright flashlight hold it behind the leg, and it should show the bones. Check for any breaks, toes also.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be a leg bone deformity, such as tibial dyschondroplasia, twisted leg, or varus valgus deformity. Can you give the chick some poultry vitamins in it's water to see if there is any improvement? The Poultry Site has some good articles on "leg bone deformities in chickens," if you Google the term.

4. ilovechickens34

Apr 15, 2016
    The chick now has a weird bump on its leg, and it was bleeding. This is very strange. Does anyone know what it could be?

[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would supect a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity. You can try splinting the leg wth padding. Have a look at these 2 links:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_intertarsal_joint_in_broiler_chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chick-anyone-ever-try-to-fix-this-experiences

How to fix a slipped tendon:

• An excerpt from Poultry Pedia Podiatry:
    • To reposition the tendon into the correct place: Gently pull the upper part of bird's leg a bit behind normal position and then carefully straighten the leg as though bird were stretching its leg back in a pretty normal stretching motion. Press gently against the side of the tendon if needed, and it should pop back into place pretty easily and cause little if any pain. Gently release the leg and it should return to a normal bent position.
      • Some sources recommend pushing the tendon back in place just by pressing with your finger. However, stretching the leg back is a much less painful method.
    • Sometimes a tendon has a hard time staying in place. It may have been out of place for too long or a chick's hock groove may not yet have developed enough to hold the tendon well (Be sure to provide very good nutrition to support optimal bone growth at this time. Do NOT give Calcium or other nutrients in excessive amounts, however--that could cause other problems.).
      • You can repeat the repositioning of the tendon additional times. This may help the tendon gradually lengthen & shape correctly, while the bone is also growing enough to hold the tendon better.
      • You can put the tendon in place & then ***wrap the joint area with sports tape*** or other tape to help hold it there. Use a thin strip of tape wrapped several times around the joint. Change the tape after a few days to ensure it doesn't restrict circulation too much.

6. ilovechickens34

Apr 15, 2016
    Update on the little chick!
    It's doing a little better...it still can't walk on its one leg, but it hops around just fine.
    The only weird thing is, is it has a bump on its leg. A little strange, but I'm just glad it gets around fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by