Chick can't sleep unless we hold it up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Allicoop, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Allicoop

Allicoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Our 2 day old chick came out of its shell with a crooked/twisted neck. During the first day it had trouble holding its head up , day 2 we have the reverse problem. It has learnt to hold it up, sometimes 2 far back to maintain balance, it is able to pick the ground for food on occasions. (I have seen) but tries to sleep standing up with its neck a bit crooked but can't seem to. When I support it with in my hand or in a scarf it falls asleep instantly.....for ages. I have made a tissue neck brace which helps but I wouldn't leave her in the brooder with it on. It's sad when all the other chicks huddle together and she stands away trying to nod off, but loses balance and wakes up. Such a gorgeous chick. We have had a few struggles with her but she is a fighter......I also wonder how I tell if she is eating enough and drinking enough, I dip her beak into water a few times a day and soften her starter food so it's easier for her with her neck. She certainly is a lively and vocal chick. Any advice appreciated,

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. Allicoop

Allicoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hey happy chooks, thanks for your advice. i originally thought it might be but it's actually because of the position in the egg. I did check out wry neck but that's a completely different thing, and so horrible for the chook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by