Chick can't stand, nothing seems broken. Help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nitrostreak, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Less than an hour ago, my mom called me to go check on the chickens, as one seemed to have a broken leg, 'cause it couldn't stand.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that nothing seemed broken, and his legs are very strong, grabbing and shoving at my hands when I picked him up.

For whatever reason, though, he just can't seem to stand up. It seems like he just can't get his balance?

His legs are splayed out in front of him, and he seems very frustrated at his condition, very lively.

What could be causing this, and what should I do to help him? My parents don't believe in taking a chicken to the vet, so unfortunately, this forum is my only hope.

Any advice would be very appreciated. <3

[​IMG]

2. Keeter

Keeter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    My first suspicion is a reaction to the heat and dehydration. Start dripping cool water onto his beak. Often this results in a quick recovery.

While diseases and neurological problems can occur, and will no doubt be brought up, most often the simplest and most common problems will be the truth of the matter.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Actually, that wouldn't be a surprise at all, since the older chickens were hogging the water earlier today, and I had to install a fan in the coop because it was too hot... Thank you!

I'll report back in a couple hours if I see improvement,.

4. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Well, it's about six hours from the time I posted initially. Nothing seems to have changed, though I've got him inside with food and water in the box with him, and I've seen him drink and eat.

He still stumbles around, frustratedly trying to get onto his feet, falling from side to side as his little legs just don't agree. Should it take this long for him to recover, or should I be worried that this could be something more severe?

5. Colorado'sMamaHen

Colorado'sMamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Colorado
  6. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Update: Nothing seems to have changed, so I'm thinking heat exhaustion/dehydration can't be the cause. It's a nice comfortable temperature in here and I've seen the chick drinking. Was really hoping a night inside would cure it [​IMG]

He (or she) is very frustrated, and flails around on occasion, alternating between frustrated flailing and just lying on his side, looking for all the world to be dead.

He wobbles a LOT, and shakes his head violently if I try to pick him up. He's occasionally able to get into a sitting position, but that often results in him sitting too far back, at which point he starts panicking, and I have to help him back to sitting normally.

I'm so worried for this poor little chicken... I'm already forcing myself to detach, as his condition isn't looking good.

7. nannahen

nannahen New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    I had the same thing happen to one of my chicks back in Feb. She could not stand or walk without falling over. I would get up several times a night to help her walk to food and water. she ate good and would drink ok as long as I held her head so she would not fall over and drown. I would put straw around her to help her sit up. I kept her with the other chicks, thought maybe it would help her. It took her a good two weeks before she started to walk again. Well she made it and is now 6 months old and laying her first eggs. Dont give up on her, maybe just maybe she will be OK

8. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Are you feeding her chick feed?????
    If she has not gotten to the feed or water easily it could be not just dehydration but also a vitamin defficiency. Try Infant vitamin drops - the ones without IRON!! As it is bad. Get the one with Riboflavin in it as a lack of this vitamin can cause what your seeing. You put a few drips into her water which should make the water go a bit yellow. If she is finding it hard to drink get the pharmacist to give you a small syring and gently syring a few drops into her beak. Don;t get it in her nose though as she can drown.
    This should help. You should also try to feed her things like Scrambled egg, natural yogurt, even oily fish like tuna. This will give her high protien and help her recover.

Best of luck - though do remember that sometimes you can do all the right things and they just don;t want to live.

Oesdog - your mum and dad are right not to pay Vet fees for your chick. I am sorry but it is NOT cost affective and they have to budget and think these things through!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by