1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pfd, Mar 15, 2011.

1. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    I have a chick about 7 days old and she can't seem to use her left side at all. She only lays on her tummy and keeps falling over to the left. The wings are working but the left one seems not even with the right. The girl eats and drinks and seems alert. When I turn her on her back she sticks her left leg down but can pull it back up. I can't see or feel a break or anything. She doesn't seem to want to really grip with either foot but they do work. Poo is normal.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Is it like spraddle leg where she does the splits? I have had many chicks have leg problems and some recover and some don't' If she is having trouble keeping her legs together, I put a band aid cut lengthwise around her legs to hold them in the correct position. Is her leg twisted a bit? I had a turkey that had this and the band aid didn't work with it. I think it was malformed. I usually stand them on both legs for practice and make sure they are getting food and water if they can't get there themselves every couple of hours. Then I give them a week to see if they recover, if not I cull....

Good luck!

3. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    For some reason I don't think it's spaddle leg. I guess I'd have to see some chicks with on leg messed up to be sure. Today she managed to "sit" on and off and she uses her wings as braces so that she doesn't fall over. It seems as if she has no strength to stand up. Still eating and drinking well. This girl (I hope she is a girl) is a fighter. I just wish I knew for sure what it was. How do I know her "hip" is ok?

4. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:Sorry I don't know that much. I wish I did.[​IMG]

5. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    I appreciate the input [​IMG] since I'm fairly new to all this. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by