Chick Can't Walk

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moomee56, Jan 26, 2012.

1. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    I have a new little hatchling that can't seem to walk! Her legs are underneath her as in she is almost completly lying on them both. I know its not spraddle leg because they arent out to the side, but instead infront of her. She is rather weak and want doing so well right after she hatched, would that have something to do with it? Anything helps! Thanks!

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    When she tries to walk does she fall over sideways?

3. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    i keep making the mistake of helping them hatch, wish i never did because had to cull one because it walked so bad and lost the other, your advice would be to monitor its progress, try to assist if possible with home made devices if no joy and you feel its in any sort of pain then let it sleep

4. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    It seems to want to like try and slide itself almost, it doesn't seem to be able to lift its body off the ground to walk. It can move around some but with waht looks like much difficulty, like I said its legs are almost all the way underneath it and it can lift istself up, so thats how it tries to walk.

5. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I hope your chick makes a recovery.
    I had a chick hatch like that, it shuffled along almost penguin like. It only moved when it had to ie eating and drinking, the rest of the time it sat in a corner sleeping.
    I tried physio, vitamins and a few other thing but it never recovered. I did not have the heart to cull, apart from not getting about much, she seemed ok and content.
    Sadly she died today age 17 weeks old, she still had not feathered out properly and was the size of a 3-4 week old.
    I hope you find a solution to your chicks problem.

6. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Lots of species have something called "Failure to thrive". No matter what you try to do for them, they just are not strong enough.

7. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww so sorry. This must be very sad for you. [​IMG]

8. bpirockin

bpirockin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    I know this is an old article, but just in case it helps someone else, this sounds as though the chicks tendons were misplaced. I had one like this - its legs were stuck out to the front and it literally dragged itself to move - occasionally flapping its wings - it almost looked like a bat crawling on a wall. Anyway, I worked with it because I knew it had stood briefly at first hatching, so figured it wasn't anything too serious.

I spent a few hours gently massaging the legs and stretching them out backwards (I did this roughly for a few minutes roughly every half hour), as well as holding the chick up hanging its legs and putting the feet to the ground. Having gone to bed and seen no change I was awoken a few hours later by a very happy little chick bragging very loudly about being able to strut its stuff. I don't know if I overdid it because that chick could really jump, and ran the fastest backwards I've ever seen, but I am certainly not complaining.

I too have had these situations where I've helped a chick out of the egg and though probably not the best move, sometimes you can get over it so I post this just in case it works for someone else.

1 person likes this.
  9. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Thanks for posting, I'm new to raising chicks and your physical therapy could be a life saver in the future...

10. FarmGirl9494

FarmGirl9494 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013

Thank you soooo much! This is exactly what is wrong with my chick and I have been doing the same thing just not massaging it enough I guess. I'm sure glad you posted! Helped me very much!
    my chick also had it's shell stuck to it's butt dragging it around and it has two or three little scratches. I have treated with polly but didn't think that was what was aiding it! So thanks again! Off to massage my little sebright chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by