Chick care

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cattbird, Aug 7, 2009.

1. cattbird

cattbird Songster

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    I've just realised my chicks are due to hatch in less than a week and I haven't a clue what to do with them!

I have a cardboard box a small red lamp and chick crumbs.

Do they need anything else at first or will chick crumbs be okay? Just normal water? Any vitamins?

What do I use for the bedding in the first few days? How often should I feed them? Anything else?

Hatching and raising chickens is 100,00 times harder than having and raising children!

Please someone have mercy on me!!

[​IMG]

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

Sounds like you instinctively know what to do! Some people do put vitamins in the water. I don't. I prepare a box with pine shavings, water, and chick starter crumbles. Some people put rocks/marbles in the water to draw interest to the water. I also keep a thermometer in the box so I can make sure they are not too hot. Make sure the box is long enough so they can get away from the heat if they need to. Other than that, raising chicks is easy. Trust me.

Congrats, BTW! [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    How exciting! [​IMG]

General guidelines on temp call for 95F the first week, lowering by 5 degrees each week. As dixiechick said, give them enough room that they can move away or closer as they need.

Marbles and/or rocks in the waterer is to prevent drowning, once they're steady on their feet you can take them out. I usually leave them for the first 10 days or so.

I like to cover the wood chips with paper towels starting out. It gives them traction and helps prevent spraddle leg. Makes cleanup easy, too, just take up a layer every day.

Dixiechick said it right, raising chicks is easy! Good luck! [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds to me like you will be ok. Here is some pics of my setup and I've had no problems.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Songster

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    We put down papertowels over our pine bedding also. They would have tried to eat it if we didn't next week I will take the papertowels away my chicks will be about a week and a half then. You just want to make sure they know what there food is before you introduce anything else for them to eat. I feed them the chick starter medicated feed.

Good luck, I think raising my two year old is a lot harder then these chicks (at least once the chicks get past the first night [​IMG])

Forgot look at all of these brooders and you will have a great idea what to do. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  6. Chicksandhorses

Chicksandhorses Chirping

Apr 3, 2012
    Im doing the same thing i still have to build a brooder though![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: