Chick, Chick, Chick, Chick, Chickens!! Newbie is getting on well.

JonnyA88

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

We've had 3 chickens, Muriel, peggy sue & Hedwig now for 5 months, they were bought at 12 week old pullets and just keeping them healthy and happy as best I can. I built thier coop and run from recycled pallets and they love it lol.

One hen was showing signs of stress but close observation and keeping an eye on her it turned out more to do with an injury to her leg. I've been closely monitoring it and keep checking her wings / legs / feathers etc. So I decided to sign up to hopefully get some advice and more tips on keeping happy hens.

Today was the first day Hedwig was moving around freely she still had a limp but was certainly more active. I think it's been a bad case of dead leg. There isnt a break or anything so I'm going to keep monitoring her but I'm confident she's on the mend.

Im using the poultry pellets and multi nutes for them and accompanied with either the seed bricks or wild bird seeds and the odd worm here and there.

They're growing so I'm definitely doing something right.

Thanks for having me here hope to be here a while.

Jonny

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Jonny, it sounds like you're doing fine with your birds. If you have any concerns about their health in the future, here's the place to get some help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

It's nice to have you here!

Greetings from Kansas, Jonny, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I agree with NFC...you sound well on your way - glad Hedwig is moving about better. Enjoy your flock and thanks for joining BYC!

Thanks everyone. They are both the best pets I've ever had and the most interesting. They just get on with things and since weve had them we've handled them daily. Let them walk the garden etc so checking on them is easy I just have to appear and they come running over. I'm UK resident btw lol

Hi :welcome Jonny

Glad you could join us here! It sure does sound like you are enjoying your new birds :D Fab names by the way! Hope Hedwig continues to inprove :fl Have you checked the pads of her feet for injury or foreign body?

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

HEDWIGS back to her old self. She's improved 10 fold since my OP so nothing to worry about but I'm keeping an eye on her.

Thanks Yorkshire Coop. I have done that now (after cleaning off the mud) no spelk or forigen objects and she's jumping up & down the steps in our garden with no stumble so I think she's nearly back to normal.

HEDWIGS back to her old self. She's improved 10 fold since my OP so nothing to worry about but I'm keeping an eye on her.

Thanks Yorkshire Coop. I have done that now (after cleaning off the mud) no spelk or forigen objects and she's jumping up & down the steps in our garden with no stumble so I think she's nearly back to normal.

That's great news! Glad Hedwig is better! :)

:woot

Do stop by the UK thread link that CT left for you if you get chance. Quite a few of us there from all over the UK on there :D

Back
Top Bottom