1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick/chicken food??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by david3389, May 18, 2008.

1. david3389

david3389 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Spencer New York
    when could i start feeding my chicks that are about 3weeks old normal chicken food, not the chick mix.?[​IMG]

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It depends on the feed. Some brands say different things. I just finished a 50 lb. bag of chick starter and my chicks are just over 3 weeks old. I now have them on grower/finisher. The starter was medicated and the grower/finisher is not.

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I keep my laying hens on starter feed for the first 16 weeks. The bag says you can do that and then I buy the laying pellets. Most bags give the info on the back of how long to keep the chickens on it. I start with medicated chick starter but don't keep them on the medicated feed the whole 16 weeks. When the first bag is gone, I just buy regular chick starter.

4. Luv my Silkies

Luv my Silkies New Egg

May 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Hello,

I am a first time owner of Silkie Chickens and I have a few questions myself. I purchased my chickens when they were 5 weeks old and have been told different opinions regarding feeding. I went to my local feed store yesterday and was told that I should keep my now 3 months old Silkie on starter feed until they lay their first clutch of eggs. They also told me that I should be feeding all kinds of vegetables to them. Anyone has any input, as I want to do the right thing of raising them.

Thank you

5. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, the feed store was right. You can keep them on starter feed until they lay and then they need the laying pellets or crumbles or some kind of laying feed. You can, and the chickens love it, if you want to give them extra goodies. If you introduce them to anything except chick starter though you need to also give them grit.

6. Luv my Silkies

Luv my Silkies New Egg

May 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Thank you!

I will get started with offering some goodies to my babies. I am in the city and my ordinances will not allow me to keep a rooster over the age of four month as they will become a noise complaint.

I bought four Silkie chickens in hopes that I do not have a rooster, but I think my favorite one is going to be one. How can you tell, they are three month old?

I have not figured out how to attach a picture as I am new here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by